December 02, 2011

making cookies in december






Have I ever mentioned how much I love baking?  There's just something about the measuring and dumping, the sound of the mixer, and the smells that make me want to do it over and over.  Lately, it's been cookies, because that's what everyone likes and they're easy for a quick evening snack.  Plus, a lot is made from a little, because when seven kids see cookies, they don't last very long.

I love the way the kids crowd into the kitchen when they hear the clank of measuring cups and the oven heating up.  They peek in the bowl, and, yes, try to sneak a pinch of dough.  (It never works, because I'm always watching...mwahaha.)  But even as the last cookies were dropped on the pan, I might have given the little ones a small bite.  (I may or may not have given myself a few bites too.  I'm  not telling.)  It tasted good uncooked, but it tasted even better cooked.  Here is the recipe, adapted from this.

Ingredients:
3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugars until fluffy and light in color.  Add egg and vanilla and blend in.  Mix in flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.  Then, stir in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.  Using a standard-size cookie scoop of tablespoon, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet.  *Bake for 16 minutes.  Let cool on the sheet then transfer to a wire rack.
*A note about the baking time: The original recipe called for 8-10 minutes, but my family likes crunchier cookies, so I baked them longer.  You can experiment depending on what you prefer.

Pour yourself a glass of milk and enjoy!

p.s. Interested in a sponsor swap for the month of December? I'd love to swap with you!  Email me if you're interested!

15 comments:

  1. "...because when seven kids see cookies, they don't last very long."
    I can attest to that.
    I love baking too, and it's funny, because I've been making cookies a lot lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful. i'm so making these soon.
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love baking too! my goal for December? Make every recipe saved in my bookmarks bar! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to make wintery cookies! these look so good:)
    xoxo
    simi

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummm. hahah, I'm always watching for little children who try to steal cookie dough while I'm baking too. ;) oh, and your photos are great--I feel like food photography is an area in which I sorely lack talent, so I'm impressed. (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. ....hhhhhhhhaaa... nghhhhh... okay, that's it. i give up, i'll go bake some cookies!! DX they seriously look delicious. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! I love cookies! I am not the kid who would make them from scratch... especially because i barely have time to... should take the time off! :o) But i understand the love of pilsberry instant cookies!!!!
    Great post :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Olivia?
    These look soo Yummmy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm... delicious! your shots make my mouth water :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooohh... cookies! They look yummy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum, now i'm craving chocolate!
    I love the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum, now i'm craving chocolate!
    I love the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. um. yum. ohmygoodness, yum. darn it, now i'm craving cookies. :D

    ReplyDelete